Share your best experiences in Alsace with #visitalsace
Mulhouse used to be divided into two sectors, the lower town around the market square (now the Place de la Réunion) and the upper town (beyond the Place de la Concorde). In the latter, in the Middle Ages, the main religious establishments were established, most of them having disappeared. In 1523, Mulhouse, an independent town allied to the Swiss cantons, joined the Calvinist Reformation which was then spreading in the region. Mass was abolished in 1529, the religious orders were expelled and the church of Saint-Etienne became a temple, while the church of Sainte-Marie was converted into an artillery depot before being devolved to the Reformed cult. The reunion of Mulhouse with France in 1798 opened the doors of the city to all confessions. A synagogue was built in 1849 and a new church in 1860. A new temple was also built on Place de la Réunion. Churches and temples then multiplied in the different districts of the city. The arrival, since the Second World War, of populations with increasingly diverse origins and beliefs, among which Islam was in the majority, led to the construction of new places of worship.
Horaires et dates d'ouvertures susceptibles d'être modifiés en fonction des circonstances. Prenez vos précautions.