Gougenheim was the seat of a local episcopal court whose jurisdiction extended to property and persons. In 1474, the village, which was then fortified, became the capital of the bailiwick of Kochersberg. It was under the jurisdiction of the prince-bishop of Strasbourg. As the direct representative of the Lord Bishop, the bailiff resided here. The bishop's court sat in the "Laube", which stood on the site of the town hall (or between the town hall and the church).
- Altitude : 200m