Share your best experiences in Alsace with #visitalsace
Immerse yourself in the remembrance of the Great War on the emblematic site of Hartmannswillerkopf. Known as the “mountain of death” or the “man-eater”, this summit was the backdrop for dreadful battles.
This promontory which stands at 956m in altitude looking out over the plain of Alsace, is in memory of the Great War. On the battlefield, 30,000 French and German men were crushed beneath a storm of steel. On both sides of the trenches, the men fought hard for this strategic observation post. In 1915 alone, the summit changed hands 4 times. The fighting continued throughout the War on this battlefield, torn asunder by shells, gas and flamethrowers. Classified as a historical monument, the site is home to one of the 4 national monuments dedicated to this tragic period. To get the most out of your visit, you can stroll along the 2 trails: one climbs up the Vieil-Armand for 30 minutes taking you to the great cross, and the other takes you on a 2 1/2 hour walk round the trenches and former bunkers.
- Pets allowed : yes
- Altitude : 956m
- Distance to the nearest station (km) : 14
- Price advantages :
- Group (minimum number of people) : 10
- Type of visits proposed : Free visit, Visit with guide tool, Visit with educational sheets/pack, Guided tour for individuals with reservation, Guided tour for groups with reservation
- Equipment required : Walking shoes, Torch, Wet weather clothing
- Languages spoken : French, German, English
- Restaurant on site : Cafeteria
- Practical services : Group reception, Bus stop
- Group headcount :
- Mini : 1
- Maxi : 50
Horaires et dates d'ouvertures susceptibles d'être modifiés en fonction des circonstances. Prenez vos précautions.
- Commentaire "mesure covid" : Cimetière militaire et champ de bataille en accès libre. Crypte fermée jusqu'à nouvel ordre.
- Ouverture et service de vente proposé : Open to the public
- Mesure de protections : The service provider declares to respect the sanitary protocols, Wearing a mask is mandatory, Hydroalcoholic gel available