" Spend a moment immersed in the history of Alsace while discovering the largest and strongest of Europe’s fortifications in 1914. Today, this site is a symbol of Franco-German peace and reconciliation. "
Built from 1893 to 1916, the Mutzig fortress was named "Feste Kaiser Wilhelm II" in 1895. It was the first German fortification to be made of concrete, entirely armored, ventilated and lit by electrical power. This prototype was an experimentation preliminary to the construction of the dispersed fortifications: ouvrages scattered on the terrain, dug underground and connected by underground galleries. It was the most powerful and largest fortification in the German Empire in 1914: it spanned 254 ha (636 acres), covered 40,000 square meters underground, with 22 artillery turrets& Its exceptional preservation and the excellent rehabilitation work and outfitting as a museum have contributed to make it a memorial and one of the best sites in Alsace for research into military architecture, technology and history. The visit is varied: infantry casemates, batteries of armored artillery, armored observation turrets, machine gun pillboxes, firing trenches& Numerous authentic objects and pieces of equipment can still be seen: the generating plant, the bakery, the kitchens, the wells, the men's sleeping quarters with their bunks, the surgery, the hospital, the toilets& Every year, an exhibition is organized on a historical or artistic topic :collections of French and German military headgear and paintings of the fortified belt around Strasbourg were the themes for 2002. Wear warm clothes.
- Pets allowed : yes
- Altitude : 190m
- Distance to the nearest station (km) : 3
- Price advantages :
- Free for children (age limit) : - 6 years
- Discounts for children : 6-16 years old
- Group (minimum number of people) : 10
- Comments on prices : Credit card, Cheque, Holiday vouchers, Cash
- Comments on disabled access : the Fort is not for disabled persons. Too many stairs
- Type of visits proposed : Guided tour for individuals, Guided tour for groups with reservation
- Amenities services : Toilets
- Equipment required : Warm clothes
- Languages spoken : French, German, English
- Practical services : Group reception, Children's reception, Aire de pique nique, Local tourist information, Open to individual clients
- Group headcount :
- Mini : 10
- Maxi : 30
Horaires et dates d'ouvertures susceptibles d'être modifiés en fonction des circonstances. Prenez vos précautions.
- Ouverture et service de vente proposé : Open to the public
- Mesure de protections : The service provider declares to respect the sanitary protocols, Wearing a mask is mandatory, Hydroalcoholic gel available, Contactless payment highly recommended