Share your best experiences in Alsace with #visitalsace
Constructed on the plot where the old Saint Sebastian Chapel once stood, the Saint George Parish Church is the result of two separate construction campaigns. The Neoclassic porch-tower was designed between 1776 and 1785 based on a project by Desbordes, a leading engineer of Ponts et Chaussées de la Basse-Alsace (General Council for Highways and Civil Engineering), while the neo-Gothic nave and choir were entirely rebuilt as from 1846. The stained-glass windows which adorn the choir are three of the eleven commissioned by the Mayor, Joseph André, the Priest, Florian Reiber and the City Council (which included industrialist J.B. Muller). The windows were created by Strasbourg glass painters Baptiste Petit-Gérard, Ritter and Muller. The centre stained-glass window represents the church's two Patron Saints, Sebastian and George and the Holy Trinity surrounded by the Fathers of the Church: Augustine, Jerome, Ambroise and Gregory. The artists took inspiration from the 13th century Alsatian stained-glass windows, in particular the emperors depicted in the north chapel of the Strasbourg Cathedral.
- Distance to the nearest station (km) : 0,3
- Type of visits proposed : Free visit
Horaires et dates d'ouvertures susceptibles d'être modifiés en fonction des circonstances. Prenez vos précautions.
- Ouverture et service de vente proposé : Ouvert au public