The first municipal school was founded in 1831 and, well before the rest of France, it was attended by both boys and girls. The spatial extension and the very rapid increase in population following industrial development determined the establishment of schools in the neighbourhoods. The German annexation of 1871, which made school compulsory, accelerated the process. Schools were moved into old buildings or were built specifically to meet the requirements of hygiene and aesthetic education from the beginning of the 20th century onwards. The start is made on rue des Franciscains.