Share your best experiences in Alsace with #visitalsace
Climb to new heights on a visit to this ouvrage overlooking the village. A gripping, immersive experience revisiting history!
Designed to defend the Valley of the Sauer, the fortress of the Four à Chaux was built on high ground dominating the village of Lembach. The name comes from a lime kiln that was on the site. The 3km of galleries are 30m below the surface. The garrison was made up of 24 officers and 600 men. They belonged to a specialised regiment of fortress infantry. They were mobilised on a number of occasions before occupying the fortress permanently on the outbreak of WW2 at the end of August 1939. As the fortress was not directly attacked between September 39 and May 40, they kept themselves occupied and took over the cattle abandoned by the evacuated population and left wandering in the streets of Lembach. The visitor is shown the living conditions of the garrison, visiting the dormitories, sanitary arrangements, kitchens as well as the hospital. The fortress came under attack by Stukas in June 1940. Despite the withdrawal of anti-aircraft defences, resistance was firm and lasted five days after the armistice signed on 26 June. The garrison surrendered with the honours of war on 2 July after special negotiations at Weisbaden. The fort was then occupied by the German army who took everything useful for the construction of the Atlantic Wall. Tests with explosives gasses under pressure did considerable damage. The layout of the fort is similar to others in the Maginot Line although the entrance for the troops was 24m higher than the entrance for the munitions. As a result the fortress is uniquely equipped with an incline with a railway that makes it possible to convey munitions to the galleries at a higher level. Have a great visit and don't forget to wear good walking shoes and warm cloathing (13°).
- Altitude : 198m
- Distance to the nearest station (km) : 14
- Prices :
- Adult rate : 7,00€
- Child rate : 4,50€
- Group rate : 6,00€
- Groups : 3,50€
- Family (2 adults + 2 children) : 19,00€
- Etudiant : 5,50€
- Price advantages :
- Free for children (age limit) : 6 ans
- Fixed price package for families (minimum number of people) : Famile&1 enfant 15 ; Famille & 2 enfants et + 17
- Group (minimum number of people) : 20
- Comments on prices : Cheque, Holiday vouchers, Cash
- Type of visits proposed : Visit with educational sheets/pack, Guided tour for individuals, Guided tour for groups with reservation
- Amenities services : Toilets
- Equipment required : Walking shoes, Warm clothes
- Languages spoken : French, German, Alsacien, English
- Restaurant on site : Drinks
- Practical services : Group reception, Aire de pique nique
- Group headcount :
- Mini : 20
Horaires et dates d'ouvertures susceptibles d'être modifiés en fonction des circonstances. Prenez vos précautions.
- Commentaire "mesure covid" : Port du masque obligatoire et respect des mesures de distanciation durant la visite, limitée pour le moment à 9 personnes + le guide.
- Ouverture et service de vente proposé : Open to the public
- Capacité maximum temporaire : 9 pers
- Mesure de protections : The service provider declares to respect the sanitary protocols, Wearing a mask is mandatory