Share your best experiences in Alsace with #visitalsace
Cross the threshold of Haut-Koenigsbourg Castle and immerse yourself in the universe of the Middle Ages. It’s the only medieval castle in Alsace that has been fully restored. A unique site that’s not to be missed!
Nine centuries of history
Towering at almost 800 metres, Haut-Koenigsbourg boasts an exceptional panoramic view. From the Grand Bastion, you can see the Alsace plain, the Vosges, the Black Forest and on a clear day, the Alps…
Built in the 12th century, the castle bore witness to nine centuries of European conflicts and rivalries between feudal lords, kings and emperors.
At the turn of the twentieth century, the German Emperor Wilhelm II decided to renovate the former castle, that was besieged, destroyed and finally abandoned during the Thirty Years' War. The restoration works, notable for their size and modern approach, took only eight years. Haut-Koenigsbourg, restored to its former glory, opened its doors once again in 1908.
- Altitude : 757m
- Distance to the nearest station (km) : 12
- Prices :
- Adult rate : 9€
- Child rate : 5€
- Group rate : 7€
- Groups : 2€
- Etudiant : 7€
- Price advantages :
- Free for children (age limit) : 6 ans
- Group (minimum number of people) : 20
- Other special offers : Free entrance for all visitors on the 1st Sunday of the month from November to March and during the “European Heritage Days” (3rd week-end of September).
- Comments on prices : Credit card, Cheque, Holiday vouchers, Cash
- Type of visits proposed : Free visit, Self-guided visit with documents in French, Visit with guide tool, Visit with educational sheets/pack, Guided tour for individuals, Guided tour for groups with reservation
- Amenities services : Terrasse, Toilets
- Equipment required : Walking shoes, Warm clothes , Wet weather clothing
- Languages spoken : French, German, English
- Restaurant on site : Cafeteria, Yes, Food for groups, Food for individuals
- Practical services : Group reception, Aire de pique nique, Shops /Sale of goods, Bus stop, Local tourist information, Shuttle service, Open to individual clients
- Effectif groupe : Maxi