Share your best experiences in Alsace with #visitalsace
The site of Furdenheim was occupied as early as the Neolithic period: so-called ribbon ceramics were discovered there, as well as some remains from the Roman period. The first mention of Furdenheim dates back to the end of the 9th century, when Charles the Great confirmed to the Abbey of Honau the possession of land then to various families of the direct nobility of the Empire. In 1320 the church of Sant Nicolause zu VIRDENHEIM was mentioned, the parish has been Protestant since the Reformation and the present church dates from 1822. The Thirty Years' War (1618-1648) and the constant fighting between the German Empire and the Kingdom of France finally devastated the village. Lord Franciscus Reisseissen was the most illustrious owner of the village. He held the post of ammeister (Magistrate) of Strasbourg six times between 1677 and 1707 and as such presided over the Council of Thirteen. His tombstone is preserved in the church. Furdenheim is situated on the former Imperial Road 5, which became RN4 in 1824. As such, several sovereigns passed through the village. More recently, General Leclerc (1946), the Olympic flame (1968), the Tour de France (2005 and 2006) and Sebastien Loeb (2011) have stopped in Furdenheim.
- Altitude : 178m
Horaires et dates d'ouvertures susceptibles d'être modifiés en fonction des circonstances. Prenez vos précautions.