Share your best experiences in Alsace with #visitalsace
This is one of the five oldest church in Upper Alsace. The ground plan relies heavily on the original 13th century Romanesque church. In 1444, it is burned down by the Armagnacs. The church, consecrated in 1481, is dedicated to Saint John the Baptist and the altarpiece from 1901 depicts his life. This was retrieved from the ruins after 1918. Left of the choir is the oldest part of the church, an ossuary from the 12th century. The church, classified as an Historic Monument in 1930, is surrounded by an old graveyard with some interesting features. Worthy of note is the Merovingian sarcophagus and the tombstones. On the back of the war memorial are traces of inscriptions dating to before 1939 that were defaced by the Nazis.
- Altitude : 450m
- Nearest train station : 5km - Cernay
- Type of visits proposed : Free visit, Guided tour for groups with reservation
- Amenities services : Private car park