The Jewish cemetery of Jungholtz, the Basilica of Thierenbach, the healing centre of St. Anne, the St. Peter and St. Paul Church in Rimbach-Zell and the Bildstoecklé oratory – these are the sites you will encounter on this 13.65 km itinerary. Until the late 19th century, Jungholtz was divided by the Rimbach stream, with the left bank belonging to Rimbach and the right bank to Soultz. The castle, which belonged to the Schauenbourgs, lords of Jungholtz, was destroyed during the Revolution. A large portion of the land was acquired by the Jewish community to establish a cemetery, the only one of
Upper-Rhine together with that of Hegenheim. Between 1789 and 1987, about 3,000 people were buried over an area of
3 hectares. In 1880, when the commune and the parish were being founded, the Thierenbach pilgrimage becomes the parish church.
The territory of Rimbach-Zell has probably been occupied occupied since the Middle Ages. On the South-East of the village, there are still remnants of a castle from the 10th–11th century. Rimbach-Zell was a dependency of the Soultz bailiwick and the Malta command possessed half of the Tithe. The latter also maintained a pond that used the reservoir in case of fire. The population increased until early First World War, and has since been steadily declining.
Start: Soultz/Wuenheim – Vieil-Armand Winemaking Cellar
Distance: 13.65 km
Difference in altitude (positive gain): 362 m
Communes crossed: Wuenheim, Jungholtz, Soultz, Rimbach and Rimbach-Zell.
- Type of hiking trail : path