Visit

Synagogue

The Jewish community of the Val de Villé was originally established in Bassemberg where it had a small place of worship. It was not until the 19th century that the Israelites settled in the town. A synagogue was therefore built in 1904, on the Place de la Liberté, to accommodate the 70 members of the Jewish community. The building consists of a ground floor and a mezzanine. The ground floor contains the altar, where the cupboard with the books of the Law is located, facing east, and the area reserved for men. The ladies and girls pray on the mezzanine. During the Nazi occupation (1940-1944), the synagogue was transformed into a place for storing milk in large tanks. It was restored and re-inaugurated on 6 November 1955. The deceased are buried in the Sélestat Jewish cemetery, some of whose tombs are very old and classified as Historic Monuments.

Additional information
  • Altitude : 260m
  • Distance to the nearest station (km) : 16
  • Prices :
    • Adult rate : 0€
  • Type of visits proposed : Free visit
  • Languages spoken : French
Contact us by e-mail

Your message has been successfully sent!

Next