" According to tradition, the building was built on the site of a former chapel which had been demolished and where the relics of Saint Gilles were deposited. A very pleasant walk is offered to you on the heights of the hill overlooking the Village. "
According to tradition, the building was built on the site of a former chapel that had been demolished and where the relics of Saint Gilles were deposited. This 'watchtower', which has stood on the Kirchberg hill since 1788, as attested by a cornerstone to the left of the nave and the choir, appears to us as a vast rectangular construction, measuring approximately 26 m x 15 m, to which is added, offset by 2 m on the right, a second rectangle measuring 5 x 15 m, forming the choir. The tower, a square bell tower measuring 6 x 6 m, is grafted onto the choir. The double doorway opens onto the south-facing façade. A side door to the east also gives access to the building, which is lit by six large windows. The ceiling of the nave was decorated in 1932 by the painter René Kuder, depicting Saint Gilles, protector, appearing on a light cloud, radiating holiness, accompanied by an angel.
- Altitude : 380m
- Distance to the nearest station (km) : 15
- Type of visits proposed : Free visit