The Greifenstein Castle, also known as the Griffon Castle, dominates the valley of the Zorn, in front of the Haut-Barr and the two Géroldseck Castles, in the south of the Greifenstein.
A so-called Meribodo de Greifenstein, knight, who should have worked for the strasburger bishop, has been mentioned in 1156, what tends to make us believe that the castle creally existed. The family of Greifenstein should be related to the Ochsenstein one, that truned out be owner of a part of the castle in 1217.
During the 14th century, the strasburger bishop was suzerain of the site, shared at that time in several ministerial, what inevitably triggered out the signature of castrale peace in 1401, 1440 and 1474.
In 1450, the Hohenburger succeded to the Greifenstein at the head of the Castle, and then, 1482, the Kirchheimer.
Meanwhile, the Count Palatine Louis de Deux-Ponts-Veldenz, brother of the strasburger bishop, became Lord of the "Hintergreifenstein".
In 1470, the fortress is occupied by the enemies of the Count Palatine Frederic. Afterwards, it has been returned to the bishop.
In the 15th century century, texts mention the existence of a Saint-Vit vault.
In 1516, the bishop is owner of both parts of the fortress, ruined during the Thirty Year War.
What you should absolutely see is the large romanic keep dating from the 12th century (in the west of the site), which is recognizable due to its large blocks made of red sandstone and decorated with powerful embossings.
In the east, one will be striked by theseigneurials keep and house, the whole alike to ruines.
In 1670, the castle served the construction of the cardinal-bishop François Egon de Furstenberg palast. Five years later, Turenne ordered the destruction of the site, which was classified historic building in 1898.
- Altitude : 360m
- Type of visits proposed : Free visit
- Mesure de protections : The service provider declares to respect the sanitary protocols