The Marx, a noble family from Eckwersheim, owned an estate in Niederhaslach. They were feudatory of the Bishops of Strasbourg but forsook their lord to side with the Town of Strasbourg. In retaliation, supporters of the Bishop destroyed the villa and the farm belonging to the Marx in 1262. The chapel used as a burial place was the only building to survive the disaster. It originally was dedicated to St. Martin, but St. Mark was also offered prayers there. During the 18th century, the provost of Haslach, Mr. Schopp, bequeathed funds to renovate the chapel. Partially demolished during the French Revolution, it was bought and rebuilt by a former Protestant who dedicated the chapel to the Blessed Virgin Mary on 28 Prairial Year XII (June 17th, 1784). It was renovated on orders of Father Paul Muller, thanks to the efforts of the town council and the parish, plus the help of numerous volunteers from 1991 to today.
- Distance to the nearest station (km) : 3
- Prices :
- Adult rate : 0€
- Etudiant : 0€
- Type of visits proposed : Free visit