Share your best experiences in Alsace with #visitalsace
To the North, is a monumental graveyard, adjacent to the front wall of the collegiate church. This was the final resting place of the canons and the local gentry.
Facing East and West as per medieval precepts, the tombstones stayed stuck in the ground until the Abbot Kramer had them lined up along the wall in 1854, before the collegiate church was renovated. Among these gravestones from the 14th and 16th centuries, we can see some coats of arms, in particular those belonging to Albert de Hohenstein (ca. 1335) and Gisela de Greifenstein (ca. 1326), the wife of Anselm de Hohenstein. The grave of Nicolas Dutschmann can also be seen here, with its bull-shaped crested helm sigil.
Not far from there, in a depository, lays a recumbent statue from the 14th century (a lying figure in a niche, decorated by a Gothic style arch).
On the wall is a beautiful bas-relief depicting Jesus Christ on the Mount of Olives (1492). Remnants of polychromy can be spotted on these carvings, which are among the oldest still remaining in Alsace.
- Distance to the nearest station (km) : 3
Horaires et dates d'ouvertures susceptibles d'être modifiés en fonction des circonstances. Prenez vos précautions.